Sunday, May 16, 2010

thanks Eminem.

Stats
Time: 61 mins
Length: 9.4 km
Training plan: 1 week until the race!!!!!!!!!!
Weather: 13C and overcast
Feeling: Kenyan.

When I started this run, it was with the intention of seeing if I could get anywhere close to my race distance and see how I felt. Missing two weeks of running less than a month before the 10k has got me feeling nervous for how my body will take it. I know I will finish the distance, but I want to walk as little as possible. My role model for this run was this guy:

"I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.."

And I shuffled along, taking it easy, enjoying the scenery. Once I hit the halfway mark, Eminem made an appearance, and I don't know what it is about men yelling in my ears, but I kicked it up a notch and even got a full on hand-wave from a runner dude with really, really nice quads.

Thanks Em.

I blazed down Cogswell street (km #8.. and a sweeeet downhill) and seriously, this is the closest I've ever come to feeling nirvana. Or Kenyan. There is just something about the heady endorphin rush, the music BLARING in my ears, and the rush of the outdoor air that gets me all excited and my insides feel like they're going to BUST OPEN from happiness and I almost started crying because I didn't know what else to do. It's wonderful!!! I wish I could share it with everyone!!

Also, I've been wondering if I should be worried about tapering. I designed my training plan so that the week before the race was a bit easier (the long run today was supposed to be 7km), but my time off has sort of thrown that out the window. I don't think I'm going to worry about it (Booty Camp doesn't end until the 31st anyway, so I'm not letting up on the strength workouts), seeing as I just ran 9 km after sitting on my butt for 2 weeks. I think I'll worry about it more if I race a longer distance in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment