Monday, May 31, 2010

One Nation, Overweight.

I'm 6 minutes in to this one hour special "One Nation, Overweight" and I'm already upset.

This refers to the United States, but I'm sure a lot of the statistics transfer to Canada...

Maybe I am feeling a little self righteous because I'm not overweight. But I don't eat McDonalds every day either.

They're showing a gentleman who is 350 lbs and had 80% of his stomach removed to try and help him lose weight. He was suffering from diabetes, high blood pressure, and he'd had bypass surgery on his heart. The surgeon described the surgery as reducing the size of his stomach from the "size of an NFL football" to "the size of a banana".

64 days after his surgery, he died from a heart attack. He was 62 years old.

I've blogged about childhood obesity before. Now they're talking about junk food in schools. Hoo boy.

"Obesity rates have tripled in one generation."

I can't help but watch!!! I'm drawn to this stuff like a moth to a flame...

On another note, I love Michelle Obama.

P.S. It pisses me off when they refer to obesity as a "disease" or an "epidemic". I don't care how many papers are shoved in my face regarding genetic predisposition to obesity, 1 in 3 children do not get obese from genetics.

No comments:

Post a Comment