Wednesday, June 16, 2010

football players and icy bathtubs.

I pushed myself extra hard tonight at Boot Camp because we were fighting for field space with some macho football-playing dudes. Let me tell you I suck it up and push harder when there are boys around. They could be 50 (they weren't) and I'd act the same way (Bruce Willis is 55... he's good looking alright?). It wasn't that I am out on the hunt (I am very happy with DC!!) but that I feel like boys look upon women's fitness classes with a bit of a sneer, especially since we were taking up their field space. Flopping all over the ground and whining, "This is too hard, I don't want to do this," is not a good way to try and prove your point. And I mean, plus I want to look like I know what I'm doing, and look good doing it in front of them.

Still on an endorphin high from the great workout, I walked back to my car and DC called me saying he's coming to visit me this weekend!!! I'm so excited :) We weren't planning on seeing each other until Canada Day weekend, so an extra visit will be really great.

So now I'm on a double endorphin high, and I get home and think, "Hey, I feel amazing, I should go for a run!"

Riight.

Stats

Time: 34ish mins
Length: 5.0 km
Training plan: TBA ... I'm sorry I'll tell you soon!!
Weather: 20Cish and breezy
Feeling: Endorphin rush lasted ~3 mins into the run.

About 5 minutes in, I started walking when I realized my legs weren't as excited for the run as my head was. I heard a helicopter in the sky, and watched it land on the top of the IWK. I was simultaneously excited and distressed (what a weird feeling) because a) I'd never seen an airlift to a hospital before and b) something had to be very, very wrong for someone to need an airlift. Plus it was the IWK, so chances are it's a child. I started running again. Sometimes all I need is a reminder that there is someone out there who physically isn't able to exercise, and I quit my mental complaining and get going again.

I definitely had to walk again at the end of the run, because my legs were cramping up. Dehydrated? Maybe... or maybe it was that leg-smashing workout I just did. When I got home I decided I was going to try an ice bath for my legs, inspired by both running articles online and Megan at MegaNerdRuns. From what I've read, it doesn't really sound that bad.

I realize that those are ice packs intended for food. I will clean them I promise.

I also realize that this is a wimpy amount of "ice" for an ice bath. Please understand that I am a HUGE baby when it comes to the cold. The fact that I considered immersing half my body in cold water ON PURPOSE is monumental.

This guy has more body hair than me, so clearly he can handle cooler temperatures.

This is how I felt about the whole idea.

Feet in!

Does it count if I just kneel? I think I might just stay here.

MY BUTT IS FREEEEEZINGGGG

Jumbotron quads were sticking out so I covered them with food ice packs. THIS TOTALLY COUNTS.

Fake it 'til you make it baby!

Next time: more ice.

No comments:

Post a Comment