Tuesday, February 2, 2010

dutch tupperware.

OH I WENT THERE. This is so embarrassing, it's hilarious. I totally thought I was taking a trip to the store this weekend to find containers for all my bulk barn goods, but apparently I had enough clean yogurt, cheese, and salsa containers in my cupboards to get the job done. I've been taught well..


Left to right, top to bottom: rolled oats (x2); ground flaxseed; cashew pieces; dried kiwi; dried cranberries; unsweetened coconut; poppyseeds; and granola. The only things that I couldn't find containers for were a handful of the granola, a big bag of flour, and some *ahem* chocolate. Nice Rachael, nice.

Note: When I poured the oats into the containers, the powder got everywhere.. that's why there's stuff sticking to the container. Amateur!

I took some of these ingredients and modified a recipe that I found on a blog, for Homemade (Re)Fuel Bars (I would like to take this time to mention that implies I need something to (Re)Fuel from... hello Gym, how have you been?). Here is my version:

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup oats
  • 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup ground flax seed
  • 1/2 cup liquid egg whites (4 egg whites)
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 1/4 cup craisins
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut
  • sprinkle of flaxseed (full seed) and coconut for top
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350F.
  • Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
  • Spray a loaf pan (8 x 4?) with vegetable oil cooking spray.
  • Spread batter into pan evenly (I used a spoon to flatten evenly).
  • Bake for 15 minutes.
  • Allow to cool before cutting. I didn't, and started cutting them before they were cool - and they were sticky and didn't cut well. Wait at least 20 mins before cutting!

I cut these into 6 bars (1-1.5x4) and covered with tinfoil, blatantly copying Tina.. which got me to thinking.. what is more environmentally friendly? Disposable plastic wrap? Or disposable tin foil?


I only ended up wrapping five... because I had to taste one! They are dense, but really good - the craisins and coconut made them sweeter than the original recipe, I'm sure. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment