Wednesday, September 8, 2010

mmm conflict

I know everything's been pretty quiet on the blog front (I'll be back in full force soon enough!), but in the mean time, how about some conservative Christians to ruffle your feathers:

Pastor to burn Qur'an

Terry Jones, Pastor of Dove World Outreach Center (...I know right...), is organizing a Qur'an burning session at his church from 6-9pm this Saturday, the 9th anniversary of 9/11. Aside from all the heinous consequences this could have for many people around the world, it showcases small town, conservative Christian American ignorance at its finest.

In all of the spectacularly damning questions that spewed forth from Cooper's beautiful mouth (aside: I think I have a crush on Anderson Cooper), I am surprised that he neglected to mention the word, "hypocrite". Pastor Terry Jones and his church are a fringe conservative Christian group planning to perform a radical act that is being condemned by the majority of Christians in (dare I say) the rest of the world. Not UNLIKE the radical Muslims they are targeting with their protest.

Here is a photo of Anderson... because he is prettier than TJ.

This second interview exposes a little more about the issue.

Let me make this clear: I think this is a terrible idea. I also think that Teej didn't know what he was getting himself into...

My favorite quote of the second interview is at the end:

"If you listen to him [Pastor Jones] though, you get the sense that he may be looking, praying for a way out of a terrible corner he's painted himself into."

I really think this is the ultimate case of sticking your foot in your mouth. Pastor Jones came up with this idea and pitched it without really, really, thinking about how it would affect his home church, US soldiers, Christians in Muslim dominated countries, and the Christian missionaries I'm sure his church supports. He hesitates when he answers questions, and he's not as unapologetically zealous as other radical Christian groups in the States (Westboro Baptist, anyone?). There is an element of regret and worry in his answers.

A part of me wants to rally up as many drag queens and fire extinguishers as I can find and show up on TJ's lawn on Saturday. Why drag queens? Did you watch that interview? I bet the DoveWOC would LOVE IT. The other part of me is SO GLAD that I'm 3,000 km away. Hopefully the explosions won't reach me here.

P.S. Who carries GUNS to CHURCH?!?!?! Is it the Canadian in me that makes me suggest that this might be a ridiculous concept?!

P.P.S. A soon-to-be-martyr wouldn't carry a weapon to the place he knew he was going to die. I predict TJ is going to get another "message from God" and recall this entire idea...

No comments:

Post a Comment