Sunday, January 16, 2011

winter running.

If you don't know this already, you should know that I am a HUGE baby when it comes to the cold. I have three favorite places in the winter: in my bed, snuggled deep under the covers (new and improved by a fantastic synthetic duvet.. thanks Mom and Dad!!); my couch, snuggled under a blanket and accompanied by a warm beverage; or a HOT bath, with tons of bubbles. You'll note that none of these places involves venturing outdoors. I quite often feel that I should have been born in California.


I'm going to blame this innate hatred of cold weather on the fact that I haven't been on a run in .. well, to be honest, I think I've only run twice since I did the half marathon at the end of *ahem* August. I can't believe I just wrote that. I have tons of excuses. Moving on.

I woke up Saturday morning thinking that I really, really should go for a run. I'd been planning my outfit for a few days (it's important, alright), and the sun was shining. I took too long to get ready, considering I was going to go get sweaty anyways. I layered like a pro, topped it off with gloves and a toque (yessir I'm proud to be Canadian!), and on the way out the door, I grabbed some library books to return. The books made me feel like I was running with a football. Ha!

I ran about 5.7 kms (~3.5 miles) and it took me around 45 mins (the clock kept running while I waited for crosswalk lights and returned my library books). The initial "I'm-going-to-die-why-do-people-run" phase was tougher than I remember, and hills kind of sucked, but I was surprised at how easy it was. My legs are a bit sore today, but I went to a yoga class at Lululemon this morning and I think that helped.

On another note, I made up a new word:

frogini (frō-gĭ-nĭ, or fro-gee-nee): a yogini (female practitioner of yoga) who only attends free classes.

Yep. That's me!

No comments:

Post a Comment