Tuesday, December 7, 2010

vegan...?

I know I said I wasn't planning on changing my diet at all during this yoga challenge, but I'm flirting with the idea of going vegan for a week. A vegan diet consists of fruits, veggies, nuts, grains, beans, lentils, etc... pretty much everything except for dairy, seafood, meat, and eggs.

I've never followed any "diets" per se, or restricted my food intake in any fashion. I've only ever started with the thought, "I should eat more veggies," and then binged on ice cream or something. Or I'll try a new food. But that's it in terms of diet.. I've only ever thought about it. Food has always been a free for all.

Let me be clear: While at one point in my elementary school years, I did in fact want to be a veterinarian, animal rights has nothing to do with why I want to do this. I see nothing wrong with eating animal products (as much as Skinny Bitch has tried to convince me otherwise). And I own fur. There a few things I hate in this world. Slow drivers, exposed muffintops, and wet socks are among them. But the king of my pet peeves thus the target of my hatred is PETA. "I'd rather go naked than wear fur!"? Right. That's cool if you live in California, but what if you live in Saskatchewan? Try and make your point THERE, Pam. I hate PETA so freaking much that I can't even pretend to be on their side if only a little bit (so much so I'm not even linking to their site). The reasons are many, which could be another ten separate posts. So EAT your burgers and your chicken wings. I'm doing this because I am curious if I can, and I struggle with eating 5-10 servings of fruits and veggies a day (who doesn't?), so I figure if I cut out some things, than another apple or some carrots will fill that void. That's the goal.

I made a list of the most common things I eat, and a lot of them actually are vegan. Thanks food blogs! Nuts, fruit, almond breeze, coffee, tea, veggies, edamame, hummus, peanut butter, and soup. I actually already have Earth Balance (vegan butter) in my fridge, and I don't bake with eggs anymore, just "flax eggs". The only thing I'm worried about would be if I went to a restaurant. That might be a little tricky. The things I'd be "giving up" would be frozen yogurt (OH NO!), honey (hotly debated whether it's vegan or not... still on the fence about this one), cheese (this is a problem. I LOVE cheese), yogurt (haven't eaten any in a month), chicken (I don't eat a lot of this anyway), and chicken stock (switch to veggie). I'm currently brainstorming a meal plan, and also curious about how little I could spend for a week of groceries on a vegan diet. As long as most of it is produce, with maybe a few specialty items thrown in (soy creamer, coconut milk, fruit sorbet..for my beloved frozen yogurt.. or soy froyo) and a few canned items (beans, lentils, chickpeas.. it's a good thing I live alone.. ha!), I think I could easily do it for around $50. I think that would make for a fun series of posts.. my grocery list, my meal plan, recipes, etc. I'm no chef or dietician, but I've frequented lots of food blogs and been reading about nutrition since I was a preteen, so I think I trust myself enough to give this a shot. No idea when this 7 days will happen, but hopefully BEFORE December 24th .. Christmas is full of turkey and baked goods that are full of milk, butter, and eggs! Speaking of eggs. I should get crackin' on this meal plan.. (cue groans from my 8 readers.. ha!).

No comments:

Post a Comment