Sunday, September 27, 2009

kinky boots.


This is my new favorite scene of any movie. My old favorite scene used to be the tub scene in Big Fish, when Albert Finney's wife climbs in the tub with him with all her clothes on.

This new scene is from the movie Kinky Boots. This is an exchange between Lola, a drag queen, who is trying to avoid discrimination and attention while visiting a small town in northern England, and the host of a bed and breakfast (Mrs. Cobb) where she is staying.

Mrs. Cobb knocks on the room door. Lola jumps out of bed and rushes to put on her wig.
Lola - "Come in!"
Mrs. Cobb -(hands Lola a cup of tea) "There we go!"
L - "Thank you!"
C - "And the room's alright for you then, love?"
L - "Absolutely lovely Mrs. Cobb, yes... lots of um.. lots of trinkets."
C - "Ah, now the little pottery shoes, they're good luck, you see, you know, like Whitby has lucky glass ducks, Northampton has lucky pottery shoes. Can I just ask, are you a man?"
L - (shocked) "... I am love, yes."
C - "Ah, that's fine, just so I know how to leave the toilet seat. I'll get some biscuits."

I loved this scene because in a small town where everyone stared and judged and was so focused on Lola's gender, Mrs. Cobb straight up asked and for the sole reason of providing the best experience for her guest. It was so flippant, it was shocking. I think this was one turning point in this film. Now, I have to go finish watching it!

No comments:

Post a Comment